Thursday, June 3, 2010

Greyhound scream of death

If you are owned by a greyhound, know a greyhound or have lived with a greyhound, you know what I'm talking about. Sorry for the boring post for you today!

For those of you who have never heard it, be grateful.

All dogs screech. It's a fact of life. Despite the best of intentions, a paw gets stepped on, a nail quicked, a tail caught in a door. *SCREECH* Yep, you know what I'm talking about. Usually indicates major pain and suffering.

A greyhound scream of death (herein after referred to as "GSOD") is an otherworldy sound that, once heard, you hope never to hear again.

Just imagine - you are enjoying a few minutes of peace and quiet when the calm is shattered by a GSOD, a blood-curdling sound that has your neighbors convinced that you do actually torture your hound. You rush over to your faithful, hurting hound to find out what possibly could have happened - she shattered one of her fragile legs playing, chipped a tooth on the bone you gave him, wrenched her back, tore a ligament - the thousand possibilities are rushing through your brain as you carefully check every inch of your beautiful hound. She looks at you with giant, weepy eyes, one paw held up and trembling. You check the paw to make sure that the toes are intact, no splinters; you work your way up the leg, checking for scrapes, blood, strains, any sign of anything at all.

Bella: OUCH, Mom, fix it, fix it, fix it! *whimper*

Me: Oh my gosh, what did you do? Mr. D, get your cell phone and the vet's phone number, just in case
*frantically running hands over Bella's legs and body*

Bella: Ooohhh, yes, scritch that place again - yep, right there *sigh*

Me: Um, I'm starting to think that you're ok

Then you figure it out. Your drama queen stepped on a computer cord next to her bed. You remove the offending cord and she happily trots over to her bed and stretches out again. She gives you a look as if to say "what's the problem?"

Ironically, Bella did NOT sound a GSOD when she touched her nose to the hot oven rack, even though an audible sizzle was heard. Here is the catch  - a GSOD is usually only employed when the hound is not actually hurt, but is on the lookout for human sympathy and snuggles.

Beware of your manipulative houndie!

5 comments:

Fluffy said...

I have to admit, the GSOD drive me batty in a way almost nothing else Badger does can. Why? Because he knows if he employs it, whatever is going on that he doesn't like will most likely stop. And it never happens when there's something he actually has a good reason to want stop! Runs foot-first into the corner of his crate and is leaking blood all over my living room? Not a sound. But if he doesn't want to go near the driveway? Ohh, there will be a GSOD when I tug on his leash. It makes me realize what mothers whose kids scream bloody murder in grocery stores must be feeling - I want to turn to everyone in earshot and shout that "I am not abusing my dog, I swear, he is just trying to manipulate me using your disapproval!" And what frustrates me the most? A lot of the time it works!

Two Greyhound Town said...

Oh yes, the GSOD. I've only had it happen a few times, but it is terrifying until you find out that it's nothing. LOL

houndstooth said...

*rofl* I was going to say "It's never a serious injury that elicits the GSOD" but I see you have it figured out! Only once did I hear it when it was a serious situation and I have never had such a surge of adrenilin run through my body. It's a long story, so I won't tell it all here, but it was a doozy!

Jen Krebs said...

LOL, Sara - I've heard more GSOD's than I care to talk about!!

I remember one time when our little Clutterbug (who we lost last summer) ran into the yard for her last potty time of the night. I heard a *crack* sound, followed by a blood-curdling GSOD.

OMG - her leg was broken!!!! I went streaking down into the yard, swooped all 68 pounds of her up into my arms, and carried her up the ramp and few steps to our deck. I set her down and I was shaking all over, telling my husband to get the van ready to take her to the e-vet.

I started feeling all over the front leg she was holding up. No blood, no bones jutting out, no funny-looking, broken-looking anything. I manipulated her toes - manipulated the wrist, the elbow. Paw pads perfect. No cuts, no scratches, no nothing.

She then set her paw down and nuzzled my face and neck for attention. I kissed her face, hugged her and asked her if she was okay. In answer, she trotted happily down off the deck and into the yard to do her potty.

She'd stepped on a stick and it cracked in half under her paw.

I laughed, cried and cussed all at the same time.
:-)

jet said...

The first time Barbie issued a GSOD was when her foster mumma grabbed her gently by the collar. She also did a GSOD when I yelled at her once!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails